Yamagata Snow Festival
- The opening event of the snow festival season in Yamagata Prefecture. You can enjoy winter in Yamagawa with events such as the display of a snow statue symbol, a snow statue/snowman contest, Yatai Mura (Food Stall Village) where you can enjoy the winter tastes of the Nishimurayama area, sledding, and organic electroluminescence displays.
1269 Yamanishi Koo, Sagae, Sagae-shi, Yamagata
- It is the farmer's Kabuki that is said to have been dedicated to Kuromori Hie Shrine in Sakata City, from the Kyoho years in the mid-Edo Period, which has been handed down for more than 280 years. It is called "Snow Play" or "Cold Play" because we enjoy it in the snow, and a large number of exhibits and the scale is one of the best in the whole country. In every February, the Lunar New Year, it has been dedicated in one of the coldest shrines. Before the Kyogen, the boy drum is played by Kuromori Elementary School Children.
Kuromori Hie Jinja Shrine precinct(47 Muranaka Kuromori Sakata-shi)
Uesugi Yuki Toro Matsuri
- On Saturday and Sunday in February of every year, the whole area of Matsugasaki Park being the main venue, candles are lit in about 300 snow lanterns and 1,000 snow Bonbori (snow caves). The scenery surrounded by soft rights has warmth and beauty and will invite the people to the fairy tale world, offering poetic sentiment.
4-13 Marunouchi 1-chome,Yonezawa-shi,Yamagata
- A traditional customs of Kamiyama handed down from the initial Edo period to pray for a bumper crop and business prosperity where young people covered in straw coats called kendai are splashed with water from a bucket. Starting from Kamiyama Castle, the participants will march around the city. Do come and watch this spectacle and get splashed by water. Kasedori no wara ...The kasedori is said to be the incarnation of a god. It is believed that the god resides in each of the straws that drop off from the kendai straw coat and thus it is treated as a lucky charm. It is also said that if you tie the hair of a baby girl with the straw of the kasedori, she will grow up into a beautiful lady with rich, black hair.
Kaminoyama Castle - Kaminoyama City
Zao Frost-Covered Trees Festival
- In 2017, various events will be held for the 52nd time: "Juhyo Field 10km Long Gliding","1000 People Torch Gliding", "Winter's HANABI" (launching time is about 5 minutes), "Winter's Fortune-Telling Tour" to visit the sacred places in the ski area, and so on. Also, you cannot miss "Day Light Juhyo Appreciation" and "Juhyo Light Up Appreciation," which are to enjoy Juhyo, one of the winter features.
Zao Onsen, Yamagata-shi, Yamagata (Yamagata-shi Zao Onsen ski area)
Yukihatago no Akari Festival
- The Gassan Shizu region used to be a postal town for pilgrims to the three shrines of Kumana more than 400 years ago. This event is the only one of its kind that is unique to this region. Using its rich snowfall that reaches 6m during the winter season, a row of inns made of snow is reproduced. Starting with a single inn, currently the entire postal town of that period consisting of a row of elegant inns is reproduced for the enjoyment of visitors for a limited period. With the 12th edition of the event this year, we hope that people will come to appreciate snow while conveying to everyone that snow is a precious and important resource.
Gassan Shizu Onsen Street, Shizu District, Nishikawa-cho, Yamagata Prefecture
Japan Sea Winter Cod Festival
- Food stalls selling local produce of Tsuruoka such as confections, special products and winter cod broth (1 cup 600 yen). A variety of events such as a tourism product exhibition of Niigata, Akita, Ishinomaki, Kita-Ibaraki, etc., performances by the Nihonkai Aranami Drum and mascot characters, and so on will be held.
1-４-23, Honmachi, Tsuruoka-shi, Yamagata Prefecture (specially-set up site at the Tsuruoka Ginza Shopping District）
Oyama Young Sake, Sake Brewery Festival
- During the "Sake Brewer Tour", you will get to sample new and famous sake to your heart's content and unique sweet sake may also be served, complementary of the breweries. In addition, "Oyama Shinsake Parties" will also be held with seasonal regional cuisine being served as appetizers.
Sake breweries, Dewa Commercial & Industrial Association Oyama Branch, Oyama Community Center and others
Nakatsugawa Yuki Matsuri (Nakatsugawa Snow Festival)
- Nakatsugawa area of Iide Town is one of the heavy snowfall areas in Japan. The festival is the major event representing Iide which is held in the season of the deepest snow and the severe cold weather. Snow statues are created through number of devices of Nakatsugawa community people and are lighted up. Dynamic “Yosakoi Soran” dance is performed on the snow stage. Snow fireworks and huge paper balloons are launched and other enjoyable events are held on the snow.
333-1 Oaza Shimoyachi, Iide-machi, Nishiokitama-gun, Yamagata (site of former Nakatsugawa Elementary and Junior High School)
Tsuruoka Mt. Gassan Asahi Snow Festival
- It is an event where you can enjoy the snowy country culture of Asahi. At Asahi Yatai Mura (Food Stall Village) that has a lot of hot dishes of the village forest, you can enjoy the local menus such as pheasant soup, tochimochi (rice cake with tochi seed), and products related to wild grapes! There is a service place where you will be given a picture photographed by a professional photographer, wearing a snow country costume. In addition, there are also a lot of fun snow-playing events such as a Kettsu-suberi (sliding) area with a great course, and striking a giant bear out. You can feel warm inside by listening to the talks about the old times, experiencing roasting Arare and making snowshoes, and so on.
3-1 Nabira, Etchu-yama, Tsuruoka-shi, Yamagata